Saturday, January 3, 2009

Getting Started...

I love wedding planning. Actually, I just love planning. I'm one of those freakish, type-A personalities that loves making budgets, to-do lists, and time lines. However, I'm on a budget, which means that I'll need to do as much as possible myself, but still, I'm a medical student so I don't have lots of time to DIY everything. This blog is my attempt at reconciling my (sometimes) expensive tastes, my teensy budget, and my lack of spare time in this wedding-crazed world.

First things first...the priorities...

1. Fun and fed
I have been to too many weddings where I was dying to leave so that I could get some real food. Cocktail weenies just don't do it! I want my guests to enjoy themselves and be stuffed full of food. If people are coming from around the country to my wedding, I want it to be an event worth coming to. It doesn't have to be filet mignon; it just needs to be enough to satisfy both my carnivorous and herbivorous friends and family. This is a celebration, and I want it to feel that way!

2. Photography-I am a sucker for good photography. A good photographer can make an average wedding look stunning. A bad photographer can make a nice wedding look cheesy. After it's all done the photographs (and the spouse!) are what you have left.

Not priorities...

1. Wedding dress-So don't get me wrong-of course I want a beautiful wedding dress, but I refuse to spend a month's rent on it! This is one place where the WIC really makes me angry. Don't try to sell me some ugly, cheap-looking dress for $1000 just because I'm in a fancy wedding boutique. Fortunately I can take this stance because I don't like poufy, beaded, "traditional" wedding dresses. I'm a simple girl with a simple style that J. Crew can dress just fine! That being said, I understand that many, many brides really care about the dress. I'm just not that girl.

2. Invitations-How many times have I heard "invitations set the tone for the entire wedding". Puh-lease! I really appreciate getting a nice invitation in the mail, but I bet I will have forgotten what it looked like by the next week. I want attractive, unique invitations so I will make them myself...as cheaply as I possibly can.

3. Save the Dates-Anybody that is important enough to be invited to my wedding will be personally told the wedding date as soon as I know what it is. STDs are unnecessary.

So that is where I am starting from. I can't wait to see where this process takes me. My overall goal is to have a fun, stress-free, wedding. I hope that this blog can help me focus on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment